Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Devil in the Details

I've been pulling things to pack and planning my outfits this past week and reading all the blog updates on Viva and finding myself totally intimidated.  In my head I can plan a really smashing outfit but when I go to get ready I always feel like it is too much.  This year I started packing the things I had the most trouble with last year all the tiny details that make it hard to streamline your packing (the accessories, the hair items, the foundation garments) for me if I'm not sure of what I need I end up trying to take them all and then I am mad at myself for wasting space on things that just slow me down.

I love details everywhere. For me it is always the little things that separate the best things from the average. The cars at Viva take this philosophy to the next level. Last year I came home with a whole camera full of macro shots of the details people added to their cars and to me that's what made them so special and the time in history so special was there were more details and it was important to personalize things.  You can see it in the interest their was in make sure things fit properly not just off the rack and let the hems drag on the ground.

I am an introvert and I guess that is what defines how I do things in a lot of ways.  I want to look nice but I don't want to draw attention to myself it makes it impossible for me to relax and have a good time because I feel so self-conscious.  So good grooming is important to me (because nothing says look at me like a train wreck) but standing out is not.  So it is unlikely when if you see me that you will think, "Wow I so want to borrow that look!" but that was never my goal.  My goal is to look good and be well put together but to remain true to who I am which is a pretty normal looking girl most days with hints of retro style and good taste.

I love to see all the beautiful ladies all fancied up as if they just came from the Academy Awards 60 years ago.  I admire the work that went into the look and the courage it took to put it on and rock it but I also like the people who stand out for just being well put together in general who can take their look anywhere and blend into the scene.  I've always lusted after this seamless integration and the style sense to put the details into an outfit that make it translate into any situation.  So, I'm always on the hunt for the people who have that eye to know how to be a timelessly appropriate. 

I can't wait to get to Viva and soak up all the gorgeousness for another year but in the meantime I will be playing a little game called, "You came to the airport in what?"  I will tell you more about that later!

No comments: