Monday, June 20, 2011

Travel Log Part 2

Post script to Saturday.  On Saturday I got asked to dance by a guy named Jose he was drench in sweat but friendly enough.  I think it was a bet to see if I would and normally I would have jumped at the chance regardless but my feet were killing me from standing on my new shoes.  However, he convinced me and then was sorry as I kind of blew him away.  It was fun and funny and since I am recording this for my own senility I thought I better not forget that detail.

Sunday.  On Sunday things were calmer on Sunday and slightly melancholy as approaches the end but those who remain really area all about the music and this is a good thing.  I had been waiting for Sunday because I wanted to see Kim Lenz more than anything and I really enjoyed the All Stars last year and was excited to see what this year held.

K. wanted to get out so we got up on Sunday and went to the Strip.  We visited the gardens at the Bellagio and loitered about Caesar's Place before returning in time for a retro slide show tour of DisneyLand! with Charles Phoenix it was awesome and made me green at the thought of being able to visit Disneyland as day trip kind of attraction.  Living in Canda it is the story of most kids elementary school lives to get to go to Disneyland.

Next up was the jiving contest.  It was packed in the ballroom but I found a place to capture the scene -however the energy seemed to be kind of stalled. It was not at all what I was expecting but from what I understand things this year were rather atypical and that usually it is more exciting.  The couple who won were super cute though and we saw them later when we came downstairs to see Kim Lenz.

That night I wanted to be comfortable so I put on my good old black halter dress and some sparkly accessories.  We were meeting up with a guy we met on Friday night but he was way more interested in talking to K than me so I was mostly worried about getting downstairs late.  However, we were early and K. was less than impressed but it was all worth it.  Kim Lenz is as awesome in person as she is on her CDs and look at that cute skirt!
Next up were the All Stars which was MC'd by Big Sandy. I was thrilled to hear Clyde Stacy sing Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor, Al Hendrix looked cool in his fedora and I really enjoyed seeing Young Jessie, and Roddy Jackson.  The thing that made it even better though was all these performers were back by what they call the "house band" which also includes some of the best players in the hotel that weekend all of whom appeared to be as excited and happy as the crowd.  It was cool to see Deke Dickerson playing saxophone (like what can't he play), Ashley Kingman, Bobby Trimble from the Fly-Rite boys up there as well .  I was pretty wore out though at this point and closed up shop at this point in favor of getting some rest.

Monday, was gorgeous but my feet were in severe need of rehab at this point.  I did a pretty good job of not getting them blistered (I am predisposed to this) but it was like they had carpet burn or something.  I had soaked them in cold water in the hotel room but that didn't help enough.  The real solution came when I put on my new favorite summer sundress and headed down to the pool where after finding a shady spot in the deserted paradise I soaked my feet in the lovely cool water for the better part of an hour waiting for K to come downstairs.  It seems she was not feeling well though and never made it.  I had been all set to do some power shopping that day but in the end we ended up going back to the strip late in the day and seeing the northern part of the strip up to about Circus Circus where it gets all creepy.  From there we caught the bus and I finally got to see Freeemont Street! which was awesome we stopped on the way back to get some food and made it back to the hotel at last to crawl done the long hallway one more time.

We checked out and left for home the next AM.

No comments: