Thursday, June 2, 2011

Flashback

I have wanted to post but things have been a little out of whack with me since I got home from Viva.  We flew back on Tuesday and after arriving home I set about connecting with my best friend who I had been texting all through my adventures in LV.  We have been friends since we were in our teens and his mom was told she was terminal right before I left.  They had given a timeline but it turned out to be wrong and the day I came back she passed away.

It is hard to explain but it really knocked the wind out of me.  She was an adult that I spent a lot of time when I was transitioning into the real world.  We both got jobs at grocery stores in the same year and while I was best friends with her kids it never seemed to wrong that she was my friend too.  A fun loving, bright personality that seemed unlikely to ever diminish.  So that's where I've been - went with another friend on the 13 hour drive to her funeral on the coast a week after Viva.  Then came back and had to say good-bye my best local gal pal as her husband got restationed to Ontario.  I have not been myself but things are getting back to normal and I intend on capturing my Viva travelogue soon.

In other news I was thinking about CDs today after reading the Rockabilly Socialite's post and it made me smile and wonder to think back on when my tastes were more easy to find and that lead me directly to Columbia Records & Tapes 13 for 1 cent plus bonus plus this and that and 7 purchases of $20 for a crappy tape later you might be done with your membership but don't forget to mail in that card every month!  I must now admit that I was a member into the early 90s and it is actually where I got my first Social D tape -yes it was a tape.  As things progressed though they had less and less to offer me and so after replacing my favorite tapes with CDs I eventually forgot all about them.

I bought an Ipod photo in 2005 and this lead me to finally putting my music on the computer but I've never been much for buying music online as it just seems annoying and pointless.  I now have a Ipod nano which I bought last year (the one with the video camera & radio but no touch screen 'cause my fingers are dead) but I still proudly buy CDs and display them proudly in my shelves beside my stereo that has a CD player still.

Columbia probably still exists and quite frankly I don't think I ever would have been able to afford my music collection start up costs without them but thinking about explaining what it was (and how the ads were in every magazine you picked up to my 13 year old niece) made stop and consider how things have changed and yeah I guess I'm old but hey I never had any 8-tracks so take it easy on me okay ;)

No comments: